If you have a dog or two and spend a lot of time outdoors, you will agree that studs and ticks are a real scourge. They are a constant and pervasive threat to their health and yours. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to stop these dreaded ticks from making their way through their bodies other than constantly checking them on your return from your outdoor adventures, which is still impractical.
The good news is that the Seresto necklace is an effective repellent against ticks but also against fleas and flea eggs in dogs ensures a feeling of well-being.
Dog owners rave about the Seresto collar, saying it's more effective than other dog flea and tick solutions they've used, especially since it's virtually foolproof. They explain that it's convenient and not prone to 'overdose mistakes', as it doesn't involve any messy monthly topical applications they have to remember. And it can last for several months before it needs to be replaced.. Many veterinarians also recommend it.
What is Seresto, dog collars?
Seresto is a innovative necklace which protects your dog from ticks for four months and fleas for eight months. This antiparasitic treatment is intended for adult dogs. It is therefore not suitable for puppies under 7 weeks old. This means that your animals are protected for longer and that you are less likely to forget to give them their protection.
Seresto necklaces are similar to classic necklaces. They are carefully arranged in individual boxes, in the form of gray plastic collars coated with a slightly oily substance. This substance contains the active ingredients that will protect your dog.
The Bayer Seresto collar is available in two sizes : " Little dog " or " Big dog ". For small dogs weighing up to 8 kg, prefer the 38 cm long collar. For dogs over 8 kg, choose the 70 cm long Seresto collar. Whether you have a large dog or a small dog, each of them will find their happiness with Seresto. It is specially designed to fit your dog's neck just like a regular collar.
The collar contains two active and odorless chemicals: imidacloprid and flumethrin. Imidacloprid kills adult fleas and flea larvae while flumethrin repels and kills ticks. No other product has this combination of ingredients. The products are incorporated into the plastic collar and released at low concentrations. They are then distributed over the dog's body on a sustained basis for up to eight months. These chemicals have been clinically proven to kill fleas and ticks on contact within hours with no bite required.
Why use a Seresto dog collar?
A practical and effective anti-flea solution
Seresto is a necklace like no other! If you are looking for a practical and modern anti-flea and tick solution for your dog, it is made for you. It works by releasing its active ingredients in low, controlled doses, allowing your dog to stay protected for 8 months. Odorless, water resistant and effective against fleas, lice and ticks, the Seresto dog collar is the simple and easy way to protect your best friend. Its advantage: it is easy to place or remove from your dog's neck. It saves you any delicate handling and eliminates the problems associated with complex dosages.
A cheap and accessible anti-parasite treatment
Among the anti-flea and anti-tick solutions, the Seresto collar from Bayer is the no longer sold. It's an over-the-counter product, so you don't need a prescription to get it, either online or at a pharmacy. However, for a first use, it is wise to seek the advice of your veterinarian to make sure that the collar will suit your dog. For the very effective protection it offers, the cost of the collar is ridiculous (between 20 and 35 euros).
How does Seresto work?
The collar begins to kill existing fleas on your dog in the 24 hours and ticks in 48 hours. Also, it kills or repels fleas and ticks within hours to prevent further infestations. Before putting on the collar, remove any encrusted ticks from your dog's skin, as already encrusted ticks may remain attached even after the Seresto collar has started to work. Ideally, the collar should be applied before the start of flea and tick season.
Ticks can still get on your dog's coat even if he is wearing a Seresto collar. This is because the active ingredients act on contact, which means that the tick has to come into contact with the fur to be exposed to the active ingredient. However, once they have climbed, the ticks will be affected by the active ingredient, they will fall off and then die. For best protection against fleas and ticks, Seresto should be used year round.
Compared to others flea collars and anti-tick on the market, Seresto lasts longer and continues to work even after being in contact with water. It not only eliminates fleas and ticks near the collar, but also all those present on the whole body of your four-legged friend.
Its particularity lies in its ability to eliminate adult fleas as well as their larvae, interrupting the life cycle of fleas – which prevents reinfestation and prevents eggs and larvae from reproducing endlessly. It works faster than competing products, reducing the risk of transmission of tick-borne diseases. If you only removed the collar temporarily (for example during grooming), you can reapply it without any problem. For optimal control of fleas in a heavily infested home, it may be necessary to treat the environment with a suitable insecticide in addition to putting the collar in place. Finally, because you don't have to remember to reapply Seresto, it's more reliable than other topical solutions.
Duration of action
Controlled release of anti-infestation chemicals in Seresto collars means flea and tick prevention lasts up to eight months with just one application. It's easier - and more reliable - than the topical treatments you need to remember every month. The Seresto collar only works when your dog is wearing it. Removing the collar at night, taking it off during the day, or putting it on only when you go out can decrease its effectiveness, as the cumulative release of chemicals is what keeps fleas and ticks at bay. For better protection, leave the collar on your dog.
Interactions with other treatments
Seresto collars contain identical chemicals or comparable products included in other flea and tick treatments, but you should not use them all at once. Experts warn that double use poses a risk of an overdose that can cause a serious reaction. Consult a veterinarian before changing or combining flea and tick or oral treatments with a Seresto collar.
It is also useful to remember that the collar is not effective against heartworm infection; your dog still needs heartworm preventative treatment, as prescribed by your vet.
HOW TO USE
The Séresto anti-parasitic collar for dogs is cutaneous use. It is intended to be fixed around the neck. Before use, remove the collar from the protective bag that covers it. Unroll the collar and check that the inside of the collar is free of remnants of the plastic securing tabs. Adjust the collar according to the animal's neck and be careful not to overtighten it. It is recommended to leave a space equivalent to 2 fingers between the collar and your pet's neck.
Feed the rest of the collar through the loop and cut off any length beyond 2cm. The Seresto collar must be worn without interruption during the period of protection which is 8 months and withdrawn at the end of this period. Periodically inspect the fit of the collar especially for rapidly growing puppies over 7 weeks old. Make sure you don't attach a leash to the collar, as the force of your pet pulling on it could potentially open the safety mechanism. A normal collar can be used safely alongside the Seresto collar. Take a normal collar and then attach it to the leash.
Can the Seresto collar get wet?
We know how hard it is to catch our water-loving dogs before they hit the water, but there's no reason to take their collars off to swim. The Seresto collar is waterproof (water resistant), so it is effective even if it gets wet. It will continue to repel and kill pests even after your dog swims, bathes or is caught outside in the rain.
This is because the active ingredients are contained in the matrix of the collar and are hydrophobic, so they are not washed away by swimming and bathing. They spread through the naturally water resistant layer of the dog's skin and hair and even if some of the active ingredients are partially washed off in the bath, Seresto will quickly replenish the active ingredients and the animal will be protected again. It is recommended to use a soap-free shampoo with non-detergent ingredients when bathing.
Although water resistant, this pest control collar is not waterproof: it can withstand soaking here and there, but repeated exposure to water will slightly shorten the life of the collar depending on the frequency. The manufacturer suggests bathing or swimming no more than once a month, as this can reduce the effectiveness of the collar to five to seven months. See the product information for more details.
Is the Seresto collar safe?
Because the Seresto collar works on contact, your dog may pick up fleas and ticks while you're hiking, but the collar repels or kills insects before they can bite. You can double the protection by brushing your dog after a walk in grassy or wooded areas. Veterinarians consider the Seresto collar to be a safe preventative against fleas and ticks and safe for adults or children if all precautions are followed.
According to the manufacturer, Seresto has undergone extensive safety tests. The reported side effects can be summed up in four points:
- allergic reaction
- localized skin irritation
- hair loss on the dog's neck
Sometimes dogs are not used to wearing collars, so they may develop mild reactions such as scratches, redness and hair loss around the collar. These symptoms usually disappear within one to two weeks, without removing the collar, as your dog gets used to wearing it. In rare cases in dogs, reactions such as dermatitis, inflammation, eczema or lesions may occur and in these cases temporary removal of the collar may be recommended until symptoms have subsided.
Also make sure the collar is not too tight - you must always be able to insert 2 fingers between your dog's neck and the Seresto necklace. The safety information included with the collar states that you remove the collar and give your dog a full bath if there are signs of irritation. Because some dogs are more sensitive than others and there are many factors to consider, it is best to consult your veterinarian with any questions or concerns before using the Seresto collar or any other medication. Consider consulting your veterinarian if symptoms persist or worsen.
Effects on your other four-legged friends
This necklace contains flumethrin of the pyrethroid family. The pyrethroids exhibit significant toxicity that primarily targets insects. They also have the advantage of degrading naturally, disappearing by hydrolysis, photolysis and by micro-organisms. While pyrethroids have minor effects on dogs, they can be fatal to cats and cold-blooded animals (fish, bees, etc.) Be sure to keep them out of reach of these animals.
Precautions of use
First, be sure to use the Seresto collar for its intended purpose. It is an antiparasitic treatment that cannot be confused with a ceremonial accessory. Second, examine your dog's neck carefully before putting a flea collar : the skin should be free of sores or irritations. The substances contained in the collar are powerful active ingredients, and for your safety as well as that of your mastiff, remember to read the instructions supplied with the collar carefully and to respect all precautions for use.
Other security measures are also appreciated:
- It is recommended that owners wash their hands thoroughly with cold water after handling or putting the collar on their dog.
- All adults or children should wash their hands after playing with an animal wearing a Seresto collar.
- Since the collar includes small parts that pose choking hazards and the plastic is impregnated with insecticides, children should not be allowed to play, wear, or handle the collar. Pay special attention to your children: Flea collars can be dangerous for them if they have a habit of hanging on your pet's neck or cuddling him too closely.
- Immediately dispose of any remains or scraps from the collar and put them out of reach.
- Do not put the collar in your mouth or let children chew it. The chemicals are contained in the plastic of the Seresto collar, so contact with the collar is not harmful, but chewing or ingesting it may cause an upset stomach, vomiting, lethargy, or a blockage.
- The manufacturer and veterinarians do not recommend the use of Seresto collars for pregnant or lactating bitches or for puppies under seven weeks of age. · The collar is intended for dogs only; veterinarians do not recommend using Seresto collars for other animals due to the risk of overdose or side effects.
- Avoid exposing the flea control to water for a long time to avoid impairing its effectiveness.
- For safety reasons, the collar is designed with a safety trigger mechanism that breaks when it gets stuck in something while your dog is wearing it. In the unlikely event that your pet is trapped, the collar will widen or open, allowing for quick release. The small dog collar has a two-step safety mechanism, as it is additionally equipped with a predetermined breaking point. The collar comes with reflectors that you can attach to make your dog more visible at night. You can also equip your dog with the custom side release collar to which the Seresto collar can be attached.
- Contact your veterinarian if you think your dog or cat has ingested any part of a flea collar.
The pros and cons of Seresto dog collar
If you have any doubts, here is a quick recap of the pros and cons of using Seresto.
- A long-lasting pest control collar : Seresto protects your dog against fleas for 7 to 8 months and up to 8 months against ticks
- Contact efficiency : Seresto acts on fleas and ticks even before they bite your pet, at the same time preventing him from suffering, discomfort and stress.
- Unique technology : The Seresto collar gradually releases active ingredients throughout the duration of the treatment and protects evenly from the head and up to the tail of your dog
- Odorless, non-greasy to the touch and water resistant : You will love Seresto, because it was thought and designed to improve your life and that of your pet. It doesn't have any of the nasty chemical smells you usually associate with flea and tick collars. The Seresto antiparasitic collar remains effective in moderate exposure to water. As soon as the collar gets dirty, simply wipe it off with a damp cloth.
- Can be worn with your dog's usual collar without compromising its effectiveness. Always make sure that the Seresto collar is in contact with the skin, i.e. next to its normal collar.
- Reduces the risk of leishmaniasis : Leishmaniasis is a disease transmitted by sandflies. It is incurable and can be serious or even fatal for your dog.
- A good price-performance ratio : The Seresto necklace costs between 20 and 35 euros for 8 months of treatment.
- A not very aesthetic design : Although the effectiveness of the Seresto collar is no longer to be demonstrated, the design is quite basic. To bring some pep, opt for a Seresto cache available in several colors with pretty patterns.
- Ineffective against mosquitoes nowadays : Consider using Scallibor to keep mosquitoes away from your best friend.
- Mild side effects : For the most sensitive dogs not used to wearing a collar, you may notice localized scratching during the first days of wearing. In this case, be sure to loosen the collar and then watch for improvements.
- A not very suitable solution in the presence of children : If your dog also serves as a blanket for your child, then Seresto flea collars are not the solutions to choose to protect him from parasites! Instead, opt for tablets which have the advantage of being administered by mouth. Your children can continue to stroke your four-legged friend at will!
There is no perfect solution to finding a effective repellent against fleas and ticks for your dog, but Seresto is a proven deterrent. It is unbeatable when it comes to preventing and treating fleas over a long period (7-8 months). Its effectiveness is largely due to its ingenious design, which makes it particularly easy to use. The leader in anti-flea and anti-tick solutions Seresto is a victim of its own success.